Apply by February 1
Students begin their graduate work in the fall semester. To be assured full consideration for August admission and/or financial aid, the department must have received completed applications by February 1. The department makes most admission decisions during February and March. Given application processing time, we encourage potential students to apply early to ensure all materials are received prior to the due date.
WVU has now implemented an application process that is almost completely electronic. Other than academic records (transcripts, etc.), all application materials can now be submitted electronically, including letters of reference. The WVU Admissions Office begins accepting applications for the next academic year on or about September 15.
- Enter the WVU Application portal.
- Create a username and password.
- Once an account has been created, applicants can edit the application at their discretion. Please complete all questions asked.
- Upload an up-to-date resume: Your resume should include enough information for the admissions committee to trace your entire professional work history and should indicate any relevant affiliations.
- Request 1-3 letters of recommendation through the online portal. Individual letters should not exceed one page: We recommend that your reference provide some information that is not found in the other materials being submitted. Topics with regards to your ability to work with others, your discipline and ambition, leadership potential, etc. should be addressed. Your reference letter(s) should cover aptitudes necessary for your success in the program to which you are applying.
- Create a Statement of Purpose: Your statement of purpose should address why you are interested in earning your Ph.D. from WVU (what you hope to learn, career goals, etc.). You should demonstrate your understanding of what academic research is and your commitment to doing this type of work, both in the Ph.D. program and throughout your career. You should discuss any research experience you have, your general area of interest and your specific research interests.
- Writing Sample (if available): Examples include class research papers, conference papers, published research articles, research manuscripts in progress, white papers, technical reports, etc.
- You may also send other
supporting materials you wish to have considered with your application. All
of these can now be submitted electronically as part of the online application
process. This method is strongly preferred since it assures timely receipt of
- Pay application fee.
- Submit application.
Ph.D. in Business Administration
West Virginia University College of Business and Economics
P.O. Box 6025
Morgantown, WV 26506-6025
Accounting: Attention Kip Holderness, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org
Finance: Attention Alex Kurov, Ph.D. at email@example.com
Management: Attention Jodi Goodman, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing: Jody Crosno, Ph.D. email@example.com