Naomi Boyd Ph.D.
Naomi E. Boyd, Ph.D. received her Ph.D. in Finance from The George Washington University, Washington D.C. in 2009. Dr. Boyd spent eight years as a Student Scholar, Financial Analyst, and Consultant to the Office of the Chief Economist at the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission in Washington D.C.
Dr. Boyd is currently the Department Chair for the Department of Finance and an Associate Professor in the College of Business and Economics at West Virginia University. She is also the Founding Director for the newly established Center for Financial Literacy and Education, which houses many of WVU’s programs in wealth management, banking, and insurance, supports outreach efforts throughout the state of West Virginia, and also creates research opportunities and support for faculty engaged in projects that help to further the mission of the Center.
She teaches undergraduate investments, both the introductory and advanced courses in financial planning, and personal finance in the Executive MBA and MBA programs. Dr. Boyd also teaches Energy Finance in the newly developed Energy Finance program.
Dr. Boyd serves as the Director of the Certified Financial Planning Program, and has served as the Ph.D. Program Coordinator for the area of Finance and the faculty advisor for the Finance Club in the past. Dr. Boyd also works closely with the State of West Virginia Auditor’s office to develop and implement financial literacy programs for secondary education teachers and state employees.
Dr. Boyd's research involves the behavior of traders, the characterization of competitive market making, strategic and tactical asset allocation decisions, the integration of markets and market participants, price discovery, and other issues relating to market microstructure, investments, and personal financial planning. She serves on the Editorial Advisory Board for the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance and as a Review Board Member for the American Journal of Business. Dr. Boyd has published articles in the Journal of Futures Markets, the Journal of Fixed Income, Review of Derivatives Research, Managerial Finance, the Journal of Alternative Investments, and the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance.
- Ph.D., Finance, George Washington University
- M.B.A., Finance, Texas Tech University
- B.F.A., Dance, The University of Texas at Austin
- Semi-finalist for the Market Microstructure Best Paper Award at Financial Management Association 2016 Meetings
- Highly Commended Paper in the 2016 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence for the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance
- 2016 Robbins Center International Research Fellowship Recipient
- 2016 B&E Deans Summer Research Grant Recipient
- 2015 Beta Alpha Psi Most Influential Finance Professor for Professional Development
- Highly Commended Paper in the 2015 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence for Managerial Finance
- 2015 Dean's Award of Distinction in Service
- 2015 Department of Finance Research Award
- 2015 Department of Finance Teaching Award
- 2015 Department of Finance Service Award
- 2011 Department of Finance Service Award