Undergraduate Admission Requirements
Eligible applicants are offered admission under three classifications:
Students with a 3.25 high school GPA; who place into MATH 126A or higher, and an official high school transcript are eligible for direct admission into one of our academic majors: Accounting, Economics, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Finance, General Business, Global Supply Chain Management, Hospitality and Tourism Management, Management, Management Information Systems, or Marketing
Students with a 2.50 high school GPA and 19 ACT composite or 910 old SAT math and critical reading combined score or 990 new SAT math and evidence based reading and writing (WV residents); 21 ACT composite or 990 old SAT math and critical reading combined score or 1070 new SAT math and evidence based reading and writing (Non-WV residents), and official high school transcript will be admitted into the College of Business and Economics as a Business major.
- Freshmen, 0-14 credit hours - must satisfy the high school GPA and standardized test score requirements of an incoming freshman.
- Freshmen, 15-23 credit hours – 2.5 or > overall GPA and completion of MATH 122 (minimum grade of C-) or placement in MATH 126A or a higher level of college math.
- Freshmen, 24-28 credit hours – 2.5 or > overall GPA and completion of college algebra (or a higher level of college math) with a minimum grade of C-.
- Sophomores, 29-58 credit hours – 2.5 or > overall GPA and completion of college algebra (or a higher level of college math) with a minimum grade of C-.
- Juniors, 59-88 credit hours – 2.5 or > overall GPA and no more than one term away from completion of the 10 prerequisite courses necessary to begin attempting upper-division business/economics courses (listed below.)
- Seniors, 89 or > credit hours – 2.5 or > overall GPA and completion of the 10 prerequisite courses to begin attempting upper-division business/economics courses.
International Students must abide by the above requirements and have a 3.0 or > overall GPA.
Change of majors must be initiated by your current advisor FIRST. If you do not qualify, your folder will be sent to the Center for Learning, Advising and Student Success (CLASS) until you can satisfy the requirements.To remain in good academic standing with the College, students must maintain an overall GPA of at least 2.0 and demonstrate progress in competing the College course prerequisites below.
Admission Requirements for Majors
Students must meet the following requirements in order to take upper-level courses within their declared major:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours at the end of the semester in which the application is filed
- English 101 and 102 or 103 with a minimum grade of C
- Computer Science 101 with a minimum grade of C
- Accounting 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Accounting majors)
- Economics 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Finance majors, and B or better in either 201 or 202 for Economics majors)
- Economics 225 or Statistics 211 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 126, 129 or 153 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 150, 154, 155 or higher level of college calculus with a minimum grade of C. (Minimum grade of B in math 150 or a minimum grade of C in math 155 for Finance, Economics and MIS majors.) Students who successfully place into Math 150 or a higher level of college calculus and earn a minimum grade of C in the course are waived from having to complete Math 126 or Math 153.
A competitive GPA greater than 2.5 may be required for some majors.
* All prospective students must apply for admission to West Virginia University.
For information on how to apply visit apply.wvu.edu.
Graduate Degree Admissions
Admission requirements for graduate degrees differ from program to program. Please visit the respective graduate degree pages for admissions information.