The Center for Free Enterprise runs a regular reading group for graduate students in economics at a local eating establishment. Each week an important contemporary or classic paper or book is assigned to students and faculty to read. The primary goal of the reading group is for graduate students to learn and reflect on core papers and ideas that touch upon the Center’s mission but which they are unlikely to encounter during their normal graduate studies. In addition, the reading group has the salutary benefit of allowing CFE faculty and graduate students to regularly see one another to share ideas regarding teaching and potential papers.
- August 25 Tullock , G. 1971. Public Decisions as Public Goods. Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 79, No. 4, 913-918
- September 1 Powell, B., Wilson. 2007. An Experimental Investigation of Hobbesian Jungles. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization Vol. 66, 669–686
- September 7 Manne, H. 1971. The Political Economy of Modern Universities. Major portion of an address to trustees and guests of the Foundation for Economic Education.
- September 14 Baker, S., Mezzetti , C. 2012. A Theory of Rational Jurisprudence. Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 120, No. 3, 513-551
- September 21 Bernstein, L. 1992. Opting out of the Legal System: Extralegal Contractual Relations in the Diamond Industry. The Journal of Legal Studies. Vol. 21, No. 1, 115-157
- September 28 Smith, V. 2002. Constructivist and Ecological Rationality in Economics. Les Prix Nobel. The Nobel Prizes 2002, Editor Tore Frängsmyr, [Nobel Foundation]
- October 5 Professor Roger Congleton’s book-in-progress Ethics and Constitutional Political Economy.
- October 12 Murray, F., Stern S. 2007. Do Formal Intellectual Property Rights Hinder the Free Flow of Scientific Knowledge. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization. Volume 63, Issue 4, 648–687.
- October 19 Hart, O., Schleifer, A., Vishny, R. 1997. The Proper Scope of Government: Theory and Application to Prisons. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1127-1161.
- October 26 Whitt, S., Wilson, R. 2007. Public Goods in the Field: Katrina Evacuees in Houston" Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 74, No. 2, 377-387
- November 2 Dahlman , C. 1979. The Problem of Externality. The Journal of Law & Economics, Vol. 22, No. 1, 141-162
- November 10 Yeager, L. 1986. The Significance of Monetary Disequilibrium. Cato Journal, Vol.6, No.2, 369-399
- November 30 Davies, A. 2014. Regulation and Productivity. Mercatus Center.
- January 21 Olson, M. 1993. Dictatorship, democracy, and development. American Political Science Review 87, 567-576.
- January 28 List, J. A., Millimet, D. L. 2008. The market: catalyst for rationality and filter of irrationality. B. E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy 8, 1-55.
- February 4 Becker, G. S. 1993. The economic way of looking at behavior. Journal of Political Economy 101, 385-409.
- February 18 González De Lara, Y. Grief, A. Jha, S. 2008. The administrative foundations of self-enforcing constitutions. American Economic Review 98, 105-109.
- February 25 Grossman, H. I. 2002. “Make us a king”: Anarchy, predation, and the State. European Journal of Political Economy 18, 31-46.
- March 3 Alchian, A. A., Demsetz, H. 1972. Production, information costs, and economic organization. American Economic Review. 62, 777-795.
- March 31 Weingast, B. R. 2005. The constitutional dilemma of economic liberty. Journal of Economic Perspectives 19, 89-108.
- April 7 Schmidtz, D. 1997. When preservation doesn’t preserve. Environmental Values 6, 327-339.
- April 14 Higgs, R. 1997. Regime uncertainty. Independent Review 1, 561-590.
- April 21 Manne, H. G. 1971. The political economy of modern universities. AGB Report