Undergraduate Admission Requirements
New policy for entering freshmen:
- Direct Admission to Major - 3.25 HS GPA, ACT Math 22 or SAT Math 570
- Admission to Business - Admission to West Virginia University and an ACT Math 19, SAT Math 500, or a 30 or higher on WVU’s ALEKS math placement exam.
For current WVU students, new transfer students, and international students:
- Those with fewer than 24 hours must be eligible to start in Math 122 (ACT Math 19 or SAT Math 500 or have the appropriate ALEKS score), with a minimum GPA of 2.25
- Those with 24-59 hours must be eligible to take College Algebra, with a minimum GPA of 2.25
- Those with 60+ hours must be eligible to take Math 150, and have a minimum GPA of 2.25
- Students who have taken College Algebra or Math 150 must have the minimum grade required by their major.
All students entering the College of Business and Economics who do not qualify for direct admission to a major as freshmen will declare their major once prerequisites have been met with the minimum required GPA for that major.
International students who do not have an ACT or SAT score will be admitted to CLASS until the appropriate level of Math is reached.
Admission Requirements for Majors
Students must meet the following requirements in order to take upper-level courses within their declared major:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours at the end of the semester in which the application is filed
- English 101 and 102 or 103 with a minimum grade of C
- Computer Science 101 with a minimum grade of C
- Accounting 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Accounting majors)
- Economics 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C (Minimum grade of B for Finance majors, and B or better in either 201 or 202 for Economics majors)
- Economics 225 or Statistics 211 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 126, 129 or 153 with a minimum grade of C
- Math 150, 154, 155 or higher level of college calculus with a minimum grade of C. (Minimum grade of B in math 150 or a minimum grade of C in math 155 for Finance, Economics and MIS majors.) Students who successfully place into Math 150 or a higher level of college calculus and earn a minimum grade of C in the course are waived from having to complete Math 126 or Math 153.
A competitive GPA greater than 2.5 may be required for some majors.
* All prospective students must apply for admission to West Virginia University.
For information on how to apply visit
Graduate Degree Admissions
Admission requirements for graduate degrees differ from program to program. Please visit the respective graduate degree pages for admissions information.