Undergraduate Admission Requirements
Admission requirements for graduate degrees differ from program to program. Please visit the respective graduate degree pages for admissions information.
New policy for entering freshmen:
Standardized Test Scores and Applying Test Optional
WVU’s test optional policy means you can apply for admission without an ACT or SAT score. However, we encourage students interested in the John Chambers College of Business and Economics to submit test scores to be eligible for merit-based scholarships. Students who meet the criteria for Scholarship of Distinction Levels 1-3 will be eligible for the Chambers Dean’s Scholarship. Criteria for these scholarships can be found here: https://business.wvu.edu/students/scholarships/merit-based-scholarships.
Test scores can be submitted either before or after the point of admission. WVU accepts superscores for scholarship determination and offers multiple options for submitting test scores.
Students have until May 1st to submit updated academic credentials such as test scores and transcripts for merit scholarship eligibility. This is true whether the student applies for regular or test optional admission.
To be admitted to the John Chambers College of Business and Economics, a student must have a qualifying math score (ACT 19/ SAT 510/ ALEKS 30+) OR a minimum high school GPA of 2.75. For direct admission to a major within the College, the student must have a minimum high school GPA of 3.00. Students who do not meet these requirements will be referred to the WVU Center for Learning, Advising and Student Success (CLASS) until they complete their pre-business curriculum.For current WVU students who wish to change their major to business, new transfer students, and international students, admission will be determined based on cumulative GPA and level of MATH.
- Those with fewer than 24 hours must have a minimum GPA of 2.25, regardless of MATH level
Those with 24-59 hours must be eligible to take College Algebra, with a minimum GPA
Those with 60+ hours must be eligible to take Math 150, and have a minimum GPA of
Students who have taken College Algebra or Math 150 must have the minimum grade required
by their chosen major
All others will be sent to the Department for review
All students entering the John Chambers College of Business and Economics who do not qualify for direct admission to a major as freshmen will declare their major once prerequisites have been met with the minimum required GPA for that major.Admission Requirements for Majors
Students must meet the following requirements in order to take upper-level courses within their declared major:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5 (2.0 for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, General Business, and Hospitality and Tourism)
- ENGL 101 and 102, or 103 with a minimum grade of C-
- BCOR 121 or CS 101 with a minimum grade of C-
- ACCT 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C- (Minimum grade of B- for Accounting majors) and 202 is only needed for Accounting, Finance, Global Supply Chain Management, and Management majors
- ECON 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of C- (Minimum grade of B- in both for Finance majors, and B- or better in either 201 or 202 for Economics majors)
- ECON 225 or STAT 211 with a minimum grade of C-
- MATH 124 (if unable to start in MATH 150) with a minimum grade of C-
- MATH 150 with a minimum of C-, or 155 with a minimum grade of D- (Minimum grade of B- in MATH 150 or a minimum grade of C- in MATH 155 for Finance, Economics, Global Supply Chain Management, and Management Information System majors) and (Minimum grade of D- in MATH 150 or MATH 155 for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, General Business, or Hospitality and Tourism majors)
*All prospective students must apply for admission to West Virginia University. For information on how to apply visit apply.wvu.edu.