Lean Six Sigma Certification for Forensic Science Professionals
March 14 - September 12, 2017
This Six Sigma Green Belt certification program begins March 14, 2017. It consists of a series of 17 2-hour long sessions delivered over the course of 27 weeks and concluding with a one day face to face finale in Pittsburgh, PA on September 12, 2017. The course will be taught by Timothy D. Kupferschmidt, Chief of Laboratories at the NYC Office of Chief Medical Examiner. Tim is a Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma and has been practicing these improvement methods since 2008.
This course is specifically designed for forensic science professionals, although it is open to all professionals who have a process to improve. The course will follow the six sigma DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) process and incorporate tools used in lean manufacturing, six sigma variation reduction, theory of constraints and many other process and quality improvement tools.
With the instructor’s guidance, participants will select an organizational process that needs improvement. They will be learning a multitude of tools as they work to improve the selected process. Readings, quizzes, project homework and a final project presentation are required for successful completion. Successful students will be certified as Lean Six Sigma Green Belt.REGISTER ONLINE
Class Format and Date (subject to change)
Sessions, Tuesday evenings from 6-8pm EST
- Select project.
March 21, March 28
- Complete project charter and validate using the voice of the customer.
April 4, April 11, No Class April 18, April 25, No Class May 2, May 9
- Determine outputs and inputs to the process.
- Create data collection plan and collect data on current state of process.
- Use mapping tools, such as process map, SIPOC, and value stream map.
June 20, June 27, No Class July 4, July 11, July 18, No Class July 25
- Generate potential solutions and improvements for the process by selecting and standardizing key steps.
- Develop a future state process map and value stream map.
- Develop and implement a pilot solution which will lead to full-scale implementation.
August 1, August 8
- Develop and implement measurement of key performance indicators, create quality and management system controls.