BUREAU OF BUSINESS & ECONOMIC RESEARCH
Since the 1940s, the BBER’s mission has been to serve the people of West Virginia by providing the state’s business and policymaking communities with reliable data and rigorous applied economic research and analysis that enables the state’s leaders to design better business practices and public policies.
BBER research is disseminated through policy reports and briefs, through large public forums, and through traditional academic outlets. BBER researchers are widely quoted for their insightful research in state and regional news media. The BBER’s research and education/outreach efforts to public- and private-sector leaders are typically sponsored by various government and private-sector organizations.
The BBER has research expertise in the areas of public policy, health economics, energy economics, economic development, economic impact analysis, economic forecasting, and education policy, among others. The BBER has a full-time staff of four Ph.D. economists and one master’s-level economist. This staff is augmented by Ph.D. student research assistants. BBER researchers also collaborate with faculty from within the College of Business and Economics as well as from other parts of WVU.
Please follow the nearby links where you will find full descriptions of the BBER’s research capabilities, economic outlook program, and data services. You will also find more detailed information about the Economic Outlook Conference series, as well as a database of all BBER publications, and BBER personnel biographies and contact information. Please feel free to contact any BBER staff member concerning your research needs or inquiries.
Wheeling Area Economic Outlook 2019 - 2023
New River Gorge Economic Outlook 2019-2023
The Economic Impact of Coal in West Virginia
- West Virginia Economic Outlook 2019-2023
- Potomac Highlands Economic Outlook 2018-2023
- Parkersburg Area Economic Outlook 2018-2023
- Huntington Area Economic Outlook 2018-2023
- Overview of Smart Manufacturing in West Virginia
- The Economic Impact of Medicaid on West Virginia's Economy
- West Virginia Economic Outlook 2018-2022
- New River Gorge Area Economic Outlook 2018-2022
- Wheeling Area Economic Outlook 2018-2022
- North Central WV Economic Outlook 2018-2022
- Eastern Panhandle Economic Outlook 2018-2022
- WVU Coal Production Outlook 2018-2040
- New WVU course studies regional economics while providing areas of West Virginia with economic forecasts
- WVU chief economist: West Virginia is on the rebound, but still lags behind national growth and lacks in areas of health and education outcomes
- Mountain State Business Index: West Virginia economy to see solid growth through end of 2017
WVU researchers say construction and extractive industries will pace state economy,
northern WV to see larger growth
- Richmond Fed president Lacker to speak at state Economic Outlook Conference October 4 in Charleston
- West Virginia's public higher education institutions have $2.7 billion impact on state
- WVU coal outlook industry forecast weak in both short and long terms
WVU coal report: Production will weaken in short term, persistent declines over
next two decades